BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team earned their fist victory of the season and head coach Talon Stroud's first career win. Faber Bickerstaffe had a great day as he scored the game winning goal, and added an assist.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Mars Hill 1
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Mars Hill 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nick Boegemann scored the first goal of the game in the 26th minute when Bickerstaffe took a free kick from 30 yards out on the left side. Boegemann beat the keeper putting the ball into the left side of the net.
- The Tornado again struck in the 68th minute when Freek Schoones ripped a shot that was saved by the keeper, but the ball deflected right to Bickerstaffe's foot. Bickerstaffe then shot the ball past the goalkeeper, giving the Tornado a 2-0 lead.
- Mars Hill cut their deficit in the 83rd minute when Ian Wu scored on a penalty kick.
- The Tornado ripped nine shots in the game, putting five on goal.
- King's goalkeeper Karl Sveinsson had three saves on the day.
FOR THE FOES
- Wu's goal was the second of the season, both coming from penalty kicks.
- Mars Hill had 10 shots on the day, four being on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win was King's first of the year, and was coach Stroud's first of his career.
- King next plays at Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs, Georgia on Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill is in action when they play Florida Southern at home on Friday.