BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team led wire-to-wire in their 93-80 victory over Emmanuel College on Wednesday night. The victory vaults King into a tie atop the Conference Carolinas standings with Lees-McRae College as the teams square off on Friday night.
FINAL SCORE: King 93, Emmanuel 80
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-9, 13-4 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 18-9, 13-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a hot start, scoring the first eight points of the contest, five coming from Je'Don Young.
- Emmanuel came back to get within five, but a Dontae Campbell drilled a triple to start an 8-0 run. Young capped the spurt with five of his 14 first-half points.
- Every time the Lions tried to make a run, the Tornado had an answer.
- King held their largest lead of the first half, 18 points three times as they took a 52-37 lead at halftime.
- Mike Salomon gave King their largest lead of the game a 67-48 with a triple five minutes into the second half.
- However, Emmanuel had a run, cutting their deficit to 69-60 five minutes later.
- As he did in the first half, Young came to the rescue, drilling a triple to push the Tornado lead back to double digits.
- From there on out, Mack Owens kept the Tornado in the lead, posting 14 points in the second half on 5-for-8 shooting.
- The lead grew to 19 points on two more occasions down the stretch as King took the contest 93-80.
- Owens led King with 23 points and 11 rebounds for the double-double.
- Young nearly had a double-double, accounting for 19 points and nine assists.
- Salomon posted 21 points on 5-for-8 shooting from three-point range.
- Campbell rounded out four scorers in double figures with 14 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Kendrick Colvin and Kurtis Robinson led Emmanuel with 18 points apiece.
- Colvin added 11 rebounds for the double-double.
- Elijah Robinson followed with 14 points and Emerson McClung chipped in with 13 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Owens posted his 13th double-double of the season and came within one of his career-high of 24 points.
- Salomon matched a career-high with 21 points and Young set a career-best with nine assists.
- The win moves King into a first place tie with Lees-McRae in the Conference Carolinas standings.
- King travels to take on Lees-McRae on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. in Banner Elk, N.C.
- Emmanuel hosts Erskine College on Friday night.