BRISTOL, Tenn. – In what has become a rivalry in Conference Carolinas, the King University men's basketball team squared off with the University of Mount Olive. It seem as though it was an uphill battle for the Tornado all day, and King came back to grab the lead late in the second half. However, Jordan Floyd came up with a bucket to send the game to overtime. In the extra session, Mount Olive drilled the deciding basket, a triple with 1:01 remaining to take the contest 75-72.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 75, King 72 (OT)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-11, 11-6 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 7-17, 6-10 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both defenses had the upper hand in the early going as King scored the first five points of the contest and Mount Olive answered with five straight points.
- The contest was tied 13 times, including six in the first half, and the lead changed hands 13 times, including eight in the opening stanza.
- Derick Pope gave King a 25-24 lead with a jump shot in the final two minutes of the first half, but the Trojans answered with a triple.
- After Pope evened the tally with a bucket, DeAndre Barber gave Mount Olive a 29-27 lead at halftime when he made a layup with two seconds remaining in the half.
- The Trojans held the advantage for the majority of the second half, extending their advantage to as many as eight points at 48-40 with 12 minutes remaining.
- Nevertheless, C.J. Good sparked an 8-2 Tornado run with a triple. Good later pulled King within 50-48 with another trifecta.
- Mount Olive extended their lead back to 57-51 before King scored six straight points to take a 58-57 lead.
- Hunter LeVeau gave King the lead, capping the quick burst with a one of his three triples in the contest.
- LeVeau later gave King a 64-61 lead with another three-point basket, but Mount Olive came back to even the score and take a 66-64 lead.
- With one minute remaining, Floyd made a layup, evening the score.
- Neither team was able to score in the final minute, sending the game to overtime.
- The teams traded baskets in overtime as the contest was tied for the 13 time at 72 with two minutes remaning.
- Jamal Matin drilled a triple from the top of the key with one minute remaining, giving Mount Olive the 75-72 lead.
- The Tornado were off the mark on three three-point attempts in the final minute as the Trojans escaped with the 75-72 victory.
- Floyd led King with 19 points and LeVeau added 13 points.
- Good added nine points while Mack Owens grabbed a team-high five rebounds to go along with five points.
FOR THE FOES
- Cameron Robinson led five scorers in double figures for Mount Olive with 16 points.
- Tayon Gleaves followed with 14 points, Matin added 12 and Barber chipped in with 11.
- Tyler Thomas scored 10 points, and Saiquan Jamison grabbed 19 rebounds to go along with eight points.
- King travels to take on rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night. Tipoff from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to Barton College on Wednesday night.