BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team returned to the court in the Student Center Complex on Friday night when they took on Virginia State University. The Tornado held a lead at halftime, but the Trojans came back and teams traded triples in the waning seconds with Virginia State escaping with a 72-71 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Virginia State 72, King 71
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-6; Virginia State 9-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Back-to-back layups from Malcolm St. Louis and Shon'Dre Dukes gave King the early lead, and C.J. Good drilled a triple capping a 7-0 Tornado run that put King ahead 12-6 seven minutes in.
- King later used an 11-4 run to gain their largest lead of the game at 36-25 in the final minute of the first half. Mack Owens scored the first four points on the spurt before Hunter LeVeau and Good connected from long range.
- The Trojans ended the first half with a tip-in, but the Tornado led 36-27 at the break.
- Virginia State went on a 12-3 run to start the second half, evening the score at 39 four minutes in.
- LeVeau then stepped in for the Tornado, making a layup and triple to give the advantage back to the Tornado.
- Owen later went on a personal 5-0 run, making a layup and three-point basket to break a tie at 46 and give King a 51-46 advantage.
- However, the Trojans came storming back with eight straight points to take a 54-51 lead following a dunk from Cyonte Melvin.
- Virginia State held the lead and clung to a 68-64 advantage before Jordan Floyd made a jump shot to start a King run.
- On the next possession, Derick Pope got an offensive rebound and was fouled. He made both free throws with 1:08 remaining, evening the tally at 68.
- Pope then came up with a steal, giving the ball back to King. Off of a missed shot, Pope gathered the rebound and found Good who drilled a triple, giving King a 71-68 lead with 32 seconds remaining.
- On the other end, Elijah Moore answered with a triple and was fouled with 11.6 seconds remaining. He made the free throw, putting Virginia State ahead 72-71.
- King had a shot in the waning seconds, it was off the mark, but the Tornado grabbed the rebound and were fouled. However, both free throw attempts were off the mark as Virginia State held on for the 72-71 victory.
- LeVeau led King with 18 points to go along with five rebounds and four assists.
- Good followed with 12 points and Floyd chipped in with 11 points and four assists.
- Pope snared a team-high seven rebounds to go along with six points.
FOR THE FOES
- Richard Granberry led Virginia State with 18 points to go along with six rebounds.
- Moore tallied 14 points while Amiel Terry grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas action on Tuesday when they travel to league leader Limestone College. Tipoff from Gaffney, S.C. is slated for 7:30 p.m.
- Virginia State travels to take on Winston-Salem State University on Thursday.