BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University closed the first semester with an emphatic victory over UVa-Wise. The Tornado used an early 12-0 run to gain the advantage and were led by a double-double from Malcolm St. Louis in the 93-67 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 93, UVa-Wise 67
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-5; UVa- Wise 2-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mack Owens and C.J. Good scored the first four points of the contest for the Tornado, but the Cavaliers came back and evened the score at eight before King went on a run.
- Je'Don Young sparked a 12-0 run for the Tornado, and Good followed with a triple and Derick Pope threw down a dunk.
- St. Louis converted an old fashioned three-point play, and later added a bucket in the pain to give King a 20-8 lead midway through the first half.
- Good and LeVeau nailed consecutive trifectas, stretching the King lead to 36-18 and a St. Louis dunk gave King their largest lead of the first half at 43-22 with three minutes remaining.
- The Cavaliers worked their way back to within 14 before St. Louis made a layup and Noble Fahnbulleh stole the inbounds pass and made a layup to give King a 50-32 lead at the half.
- King extended their lead over the first half of the second stanza, earning their largest lead of the contest at 72-42 following a Young triple.
- However, the Cavaliers later scored 11 straight points, cutting their deficit to 77-58 with five minutes.
- The Tornado had an answer, rolling off 14 of the next 18 points to take a 91-62 lead.
- King held the lead there, taking the contest 93-67.
- St. Louis posted 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Good led four King scorers in double figures with 16 points.
- LeVeau followed with 13 points and Mack Owens chipped in with 12 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Dimitri Sousa led UVa-Wise with 22 points and eight rebounds.
- Taiwo Badmus followed with 14 points and six rebounds while Michal Seals chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King shot 58.5 percent from the floor, their best shooting percentage of the season and best since February 21, 2015 when they shot 58.3 percent from the floor.
- It also marks the third time the Tornado have shot better than 50.0 percent from the floor this season.
- The double-double for St. Louis was his first of the season and the second of his career. His last double-double came on December 13, 2014 at USC Aiken where he scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
- King next takes on Virginia State University on December 30. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise next takes on Eastern Kentucky State University in an exhibition on December 28.