BRISTOL, Tenn. – In a rematch of a contest from the opening weekend, the King University men's basketball team avenged a loss with a victory over Tusculum College on Wednesday night. The Tornado held the lead for the majority of the contest and held off a late Pioneer run, taking the contest 83-78.
FINAL SCORE: King 83, Tusculum 78
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-5; Tusculum 4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- C.J. Good and Noble Fahnbulleh got King on the board with the first two baskets of the game, but the Pioneers answered with a triple.
- Trailing 12-11 following another Tusculum three-point basket, Good got the Tornado offense going with a triple. Dontae Campbell drilled a triple that capped the 10-0 run, giving King a 21-12 advantage, their largest of the first half.
- However, Tusculum answered with 12 straight points, taking a 23-21 lead until Good connected from long range again, putting King back on top.
- That triple from Good started an 8-0 run that was capped by an emphatic dunk from Derick Pope.
- The Tornado held the lead, and another dunk from Pope gave King a 35-29 advantage at halftime.
- Tusculum cut their deficit to one coming out of the break, but King responded by gradually extending their lead to 50-40 five minutes into the second stanza.
- The Pioneers answered with a 6-0 run, cutting the King lead to 55-51, but the Tornado responded as they did all night long.
- King gradually extended their advantage, grabbing their largest lead of the contest at 68-56 following a pair of Good free throws with six minutes remaining.
- The Tornado held a 78-68 lead with 33 seconds remaining, but Tusculum scored 10 of the next 12 points, cutting their deficit to 81-78 with 16 seconds remaining.
- However, Hunter LeVeau found Jordan Floyd deep on an inbounds play, and Floyd made a layup to ice the 83-78 victory.
- Good led four scorers in double figures with 19 points, going 4-for-4 from three-point range.
- Mack Owens followed with 13 points and four rebounds and Pope added 10 points.
- Fahnbulleh scored 10 points and handed out seven assists.
- LeVeau led King with eight rebounds to go along with six points.
FOR THE FOES
- Ronnie Baylark led Tusculum with 18 points and Zach Hartle followed with 16.
- Cory Fagan was the final Pioneer in double figures with 15 points to go along with six rebounds.
- Chase Mounce led Tusculum with eight rebounds and Kendall Patterson handed out 11 assists.
- King jumps back into Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they travel to take on Southern Wesleyan University. Tipoff from Central, S.C. is slated for 4:00 p.m.
- Tusculum travels to take on Lenoir-Rhyne University on Wednesday.