MORROW, Ga. – The King University men's basketball team returned to action on Saturday afternoon and held the lead for the majority of the contest at Clayton State University. However, the Lakers came back late to defeat King 95-92.
FINAL SCORE: Clayton State 95, King 92
LOCATION: The Loch; Morrow, Ga.
RECORDS: King 2-4; Clayton State 3-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hunter LeVeau got the scoring started with a triple 10 seconds in, giving King the lead.
- Four minutes in, LeVeau connected on another three-point basket and Desean Enzor gave King a 16-11 lead with a free throw. The lead grew to 21-15 lead following an Enzor trifecta one minute later.
- Clayton State came back with a 7-0 run, taking a 29-28 lead, before the Tornado answered.
- Enzor nailed a three-point basket and LeVeau followed with another before Mack Owens gave King their largest lead of the first half at 37-29 with eight minutes remaining in the frame.
- The Lakers again used a 7-0 run to even the score at 42-42 and they took a 47-45 lead with 59 seconds remaining.
- However, LeVeau nailed a triple to end the half, giving King a 48-47 lead at the break.
- Over the first 10 minutes of the second half, the teams went back-and-forth before King went on a run.
- The Lakers held a 68-67 lead when Owens started the spurt with back-to-back triples. C.J. Good connected from long range before Owens made another trifecta, giving King a 79-72 advantage.
- LeVeau made a layup and Je'Don Young made a pair of free throws, giving King their largest lead of the game at 83-72 with 7:43 remaining.
- However, the Lakers closed the contest on a 20-7 run over the final seven minutes. Clayton State scored 12, taking an 87-85 lead with 2:27 remaining.
- LeVeau made a pair of free throws, ending the run and evening the score for the 12th time of the contest as the teams were knotted at 87-87.
- Dantez Bennamon then answered with a triple giving the lead to Clayton State.
- Owens made a jump shot, pulling King within 90-89 with 31 seconds remaining, but King couldn't get any closer as the Lakers took the contest 95-92.
- The Tornado posted their best shooting percentage of the season, shooting 50.8 percent from the floor and 45.5 percent from three-point range.
- LeVeau led King with 26 points and five rebounds.
- Owens followed with 23 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
- Young chipped in with 17 points and Enzor added seven points.
FOR THE FOES
- Maurice White led four Laker scorers in double figures with 23 points to go along with a team-high seven rebounds.
- Alfonso Davis posted 20 points and Nathan Powell accounted for 19 points.
- Kyle Kincey chipped in with 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Young the 17 points marks a career-high and it was is first time scoring in double figures. His previous high of nine points came twice, last season against Erskine College and again this year against Lander University.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Tuesday when they travel to Erskine. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Clayton State is in action again on Monday against Virginia Union University.