BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. – The King University baseball team closed the regular season with a big offensive performance at Salem University on Sunday afternoon. The Tornado took the contest 15-3 behind five home runs.
FINAL SCORE: King 15, Salem 3
LOCATION: Bridgeport High School; Bridgeport, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 27-17; Salem 17-15-1
TIME OF GAME: 3:07
King Starting Lineup
1. Tyler Bailey – SS
2. Ashton King – RF
3. Kevin Barbato – LF
4. Mark Michael – 3B
5. Bubba Ruiz – C
6. Tony Valdes – CF
7. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
8. Hunter Barbour – 1B
9. Cam Haymans - DH
Starting Pitcher: RHP George Helbig
Salem Starting Lineup
1. Noah Suarez – LF
2. Tyler D'Allesandro – CF
3. Jimmy Cramer – RF
4. Josh LaPrest – SS
5. Najay King – 1B
6. Dillon Champagne – 3B
7. Thirus Jones – DH
8. Dalton Robison – 2B
9. Dylan Frawley – C
Starting Pitcher: RHP Kyle Sears
- King and Michael led the Tornado with three runs batted in each. King posted three hits and Michael had two knocks.
- Barbato scored three times and drove in two while Bailey scored twice on two hits.
- Barbour and Haymans score two runs apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Michael ripped a double in the first inning to score Barbato and put the Tornado ahead.
- However, the Tigers scored twice in the bottom of the inning to take the lead.
- Barbour laced a home run in the second inning to even the score, and Barbato and Michael hit back-to-back home runs in the third inning, putting King ahead 4-2.
- A Bailey RBI double highlighted a three-run fourth inning for the Tornado.
- The Tornado put the game out of reach with six runs in the seventh inning, highlighted by a King two-run home run.
- King added a run in the eighth inning, making the final score 15-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Noah Suarez led the Tigers with two hits while Jimmy Cramer drove in a pair.
Winning Pitcher: George Helbig (4-0) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Kyle Sears (3-3) 3.1 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO
- King will be in action again on Thursday when they open play in the Conference Carolinas Baseball Championship.
- Salem next travels to Ohio Valley University on Tuesday.