BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted the 5th ranked Belmont Abbey Crusaders in a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado suffered a pair of tough losses to the nationally ranked Crusaders as Belmont Abbey took game one 9-4 before winning game two 5-3 in extra innings.
FINAL SCORE: #5 Belmont Abbey 9, King 4; #5 Belmont Abbey 5, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-11, 6-8 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 26-5, 14-3
- Bubba Ruiz led the Tornado with four hits including a double while Tyler Bailey posted three hits.
- King had four players that recorded multiple hits on the day. In addition to Ruiz and Bailey, Hunter Barbour and Tony Valdes each chipped in two hits.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Crusaders jumped out to an early lead in this one as they posted six runs in the top of the first inning.
- Belmont Abbey chipped in another run in the top of the second inning to take a 7-0 lead. However, the Tornado battled and scored a run in bottom of the inning after Ruiz doubled to left center bringing home Mark Michael.
- In the bottom of the third inning, the King bats came alive and as they recorded three runs in the inning. Kevin Barbato singled to bring in a run and two batters later Valdes doubled to left field to bring in two more runs for the Tornado.
- Unfortunately, the third inning would be the last time the Tornado would post a run in the contest.
- The Crusaders added two more runs during the game to finish off the Tornado 9-4.
Winning Pitcher: Cameron Busby (7-2) 7.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton King (0-2) 0.0 IP, 2 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The two teams were tied until the fifth inning when the Crusaders broke the tie by putting two runs on the board.
- In the sixth, Belmont Abbey posted another run to take a 3-0 over the King.
- However, with their backs against the wall in the bottom of the seventh, the Tornado responded by scoring three runs of their own.
- Ruiz and Trader Flora each singled to start the inning. Barbour came up to the plate and hit another Tornado single to bring Ruiz home from third. There was a Crusader fielding error on the play that also allowed pinch runner, Bennett McCann to score and put the Tornado down 3-2.
- Later in the inning, Bailey singled to left field to bring J.P. Castaneda home and tie up the contest 3-3.
- However, in extras innings the Crusaders would score two runs in the top of the eighth to take a 5-3 lead. The Tornado would not score in the bottom of the inning and fell in game two 5-3.
Winning Pitcher: MacPhail (3-0) 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mirabal (5-3) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
Save: Way (2) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Josh Genthe, Luke Cureton, and Colin Rosenbaum each posted three hits for the Crusaders.
- AJ Hendricks and Cureton each went yard on the day for Belmont Abbey.
- King hosts Belmont Abbey on Saturday at 12:00 pm.