BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team bounced back with a nonconference win over regional rival Carson-Newman University on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado used a six-run sixth inning to gain the lead, taking the contest 8-5 to sweep the season series from the Eagles.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Carson-Newman 5
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-9; Carson-Newman 17-10
TIME OF GAME: 2:29
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
2. Mark Michael – 3B
3. Tony Valdes – CF
4. Bubba Ruiz – DH
5. Tyler Bailey – SS
6. Austin Meyer – 1B
7. Kevin Barbato – LF
8. Trader Flora – C
9. Ashton King – RF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Evan Harof
Carson-Newman Starting Lineup
1. Brett Langhorne – 3B
2. John Sharpe – 2B
3. Cade Snapp – 1B
4. Ethan Goforth – C
5. Brendan Campbell – DH
6. Jordan Griffin – RF
7. Charlie Brown – LF
8. Cal Smith – CF
9. Micah Genter – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Bradley
- Meyer and King led the Tornado offense with two hits and two runs batted in each. Meyer also scored two runs.
- Barbato also posted two hits, driving in one and scoring once.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Griffin got the Eagles on the board with a single to score Snapp, but the Tornado answered in the bottom of the inning.
- With two outs, Meyer ripped a double that scored Valdes and later scored on a Barbato double to put King ahead 2-1.
- The King offense exploded in the sixth inning, scoring six runs. Bailey started the inning with a triple and scored on a Meyer base hit.
- King laced a two-run double to left center and a Valdes sacrifice fly gave King an 8-1 advantage.
- The score remained the same until the Eagles put a rally together in the ninth inning. Carson-Newman scored four runs before Christian Lindsey got a strikeout to end the game and give King the 8-5 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Griffin led the Eagles, going 1-for-2, scoring one run and driving in another.
- Along with Griffin, the Eagles got hits from Snapp, Campbell and Genter.
Winning Pitcher: Matt Henshaw (1-0) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Matt Bradley (0-1) 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
- King travels to take on UVa-Wise on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman travels to take on Lincoln Memorial University on Friday and Saturday.