BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Mars Hill University Sunday afternoon for a nonconference doubleheader matchup. The Tornado took game one 1-0 behind an Octavio Mirabal no-hit effort and the Tornado followed that up with an 11-4 victory in the second game to record two wins on the day against the Lions.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Mars Hill 0; King 11, Mars Hill 4
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-2; Mars Hill 1-8
- Mirabal tossed a no-hitter in game one of the day for the Tornado. The no-hit effort was the first for a King pitcher since 2013.
- Tony Valdes recorded three hits on the day for the Tornado going three for seven with two runs batted in. Valdes posted the lone hit in of the game in game one.
- Grant Boyd pitched well for King and picked up his second win of the season in game two. He gave up one hit in four and two-thirds innings pitched for the Tornado with six strikeouts.
- Tyler Bailey went two for four on the day for King including two runs scored and one run batted in.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Mirabal was dealing in game one for the Tornado as he recorded a no-hitter that included seven strikeouts and only one walk.
- King's lone run came in the second inning when Ashton King got on base after being hit by a pitch. He proceeded to steal second on a failed pickoff attempt and would eventually score on an error made by Mars Hill.
- In the bottom of the third inning, Valdes singled to left field producing what would turn out to be the games only hit by either team. Valdes ended up being left stranded.
- From the fourth inning on, Mirabal and the Tornado defense recorded three straight outs in a row in each of the innings. King defeated Mars Hill 1-0 in a pitcher's duel.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (3-0) 7.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Zac Brown (0-1) 6.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Lions struck first when they went yard in the first inning to put the Tornado down 1-0 early.
- Not to be outdone, King responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the first inning when Valdes scored on a throwing error.
- In the second inning, Mars Hill struck again as they put three more runs on the board to take a 4-1 lead over King.
- However, the Tornado would respond again in the bottom of the second inning putting up three runs of their own. Bailey doubled to left field to bring Trader Flora home. Valdes was the next batter and he crushed a bomb over the fence that put two more runs on the board.
- After two innings, King was tied with Mars Hill 4-4.
- King got into the action when he ripped a triple to right field. The hit allowed Bubba Ruiz to score for the Tornado.
- Flora would later single to left field to bring in King and give the Tornado a 6-4 lead after five innings played.
- The Tornado scored four runs in the sixth inning to take a commanding 10-4 lead over the visiting Lions. Back-to-back doubles hit by Kevin Barbato and Ruiz contributed to the big inning for King.
- River Laskey reached first in the eighth inning on a fielding error made by the Lions and would later score on a throwing error made by Mars Hill to cap off the day for the Tornado and give them an 11-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Grant Boyd (2-1) 4.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Alan Kolb (1-2) 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Daniel Vitello went two for five on the day for the Lions including two runs batted in and one home run.
- Despite pitching a one-hitter with zero earned runs and five strikeouts, Zac Brown recorded the loss for the Lions in game one.
- King hosts Lincoln Memorial University Tuesday, February 20 at 2:30 pm.
- Mars Hill hosts Montreat College February 19.