MISENHEIMER, N.C. – The King University baseball team's season came to an end on Saturday in an extra innings affair at Pfeiffer University. The Tornado came back to even the score at 8-8 and send the game to extra innings, but the Falcons scored in the 10th, taking the game 9-8.
FINAL SCORE: Pfeiffer 9, King 8 (F/10)
LOCATION: Joe Ferebee Field; Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 19-27, 9-18 Conference Carolinas; Pfeiffer 22-23, 12-15 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 3:35
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Ryan Sattz – DH
3. Dylan Sligh – 1B
4. Austin Dayton – 3B
5. Anthony Hunt –C
6. Braden Cook – 2B
7. Preston Douglas – RF
8. Marcus Schreiber – LF
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Heath Loyd
Pfeiffer Starting Lineup
1. Derek Perry – 2B
2. Jordan Eckard – RF
3. Zach Scudder – 3B
4. Tanner Mathis – 1B
5. Andrew Toney – DH
6. Christian Marciano – C
7. Brandall Peters – CF
8. Dylan Goodman – LF
9. Cody McKenzie – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Richmond
- Hunt led the way, going 3-for-3 with two runs scored and two runs batted in.
- Keister scored once and went 2-for-4.
- Cook and Bailey also registered two hits apiece and Douglas drove in a pair.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keister got things started out of the gate with a leadoff single through the right side.
- He later scored on a Sligh single up the middle, and Sligh came around to score on a Dayton double.
- Hunt later singled to score Dayton and later scored on a groundout, giving King a 4-0 lead after the top of the first.
- Pfeiffer answered in the second inning with a pair of run scoring singles, cutting their deficit to 4-2 after one.
- In the third inning, King extended their lead to 5-2 on a Douglas double down the right field line that scored Hunt.
- Hunt laced a two-out double through the left side, scoring Sattz to stretch the Tornado to lead to 6-2 in the fourth inning.
- In the bottom of the inning, the Falcons scored one on a wild pitch before Eckard cut the deficit to 6-4 with a run scoring single.
- The Falcons took an 8-6 advantage with four runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by a Peters two-run double down the right field line.
- King evened the score in the seventh inning, as Schreiber drove in Coby Sale with a double down the right field line, knotting the score at 8-8.
- The game remained tied going to the ninth inning when King loaded the bases in the top of the frame. However, the Tornado couldn't score.
- In the bottom of the inning, Pfeiffer put runners on the corners, but the Tornado got out of the jam, sending the game to extra innings.
- In the bottom of the 10th inning, McKenzie came up with a two-out double before advancing to third on a wild pitch and scoring on a Tornado miscue, giving Pfeiffer the 9-8 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Marciano and Peters both drove in a pair of runs for the Falcons, each recording two hits.
- Mathis went 3-for-5 and scored once.
- McKenzie and Perry had two hits each and scored a pair of runs.
Winning Pitcher: Dylan Goodman (2-1) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (362) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO