MISENHEIMER, N.C. – In their final Conference Carolinas series of the year, the King University baseball dropped a pair at Pfeiffer University. The Falcons took game one 9-7 before winning the nightcap 9-4.
FINAL SCORE: Pfeiffer 9, King 7; Pfeiffer 9, King 4
LOCATION: Joe Ferebee Field; Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 19-26, 9-17 Conference Carolinas; Pfeiffer 21-24, 11-15 Conference Carolinas
- Braden Cook led the way for the Tornado, going 4-for-8 on the day with a home run.
- Anthony Hunt and Ryan Sattz drove in three runs apiece with Sattz connecting on a home run.
- Dylan Sligh also had four hits on the day, going 4-for-8 on the day.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King had the first scoring chance in the second inning when they loaded the bases, but the Falcons got out of the jam to keep the game scoreless.
- Pfeiffer opened the scoring in the third inning with a pair of run scoring doubles from Derek Perry and Zach Scudder to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Falcons extended their lead to 7-0 with five runs in the fifth inning, two coming on a Xavier Rodriguez home run.
- Anthony Hunt got the Tornado on the board in the top of the sixth inning with a two-run single down the left field line, cutting the King deficit to 7-2.
- The Falcons got those two runs back in the sixth inning with a pair of hits from Jordan Eckard and Scudder, taking a 9-2 lead.
- Braden Cook tried to get the Tornado offense going in the eighth inning with a home run. Ryan Sattz later laced a three-run home run, cutting the Tornado deficit to 9-7 going to the ninth inning.
- However, the Tornado couldn't get any closer in the ninth as Pfeiffer took the game 9-7.
Winning Pitcher: Drew Wilson (4-6) 7-1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 SO
Save: Rodriguez (6) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (7-5) 4.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The nightcap was pitcher's duel through the first couple innings until the Falcons played five runs in the third inning. Pfeiffer got a pair of RBI doubles and Andrew Toney gave Pfeiffer a 5-0 lead with a two-run home run.
- The Falcons added two runs in the fourth inning, one on an Eckard sacrifice fly and another on a Scudder single, extending their lead to 7-0.
- King threatened in the fifth inning with back-to-back two-out singles from Cook and Preston Douglas. But that was it as the Falcons got out of the inning.
- Following a rain delay, Sattz and Dylan Sligh started a rally in the sixth inning. Austin Dayton Drove in one and Anthony Hunt drove in another, cutting the King deficit to 7-2.
- However, the Falcons answered with two runs on a double from Tanner Mathis to extend the lead back to 9-2.
- In the seventh, King put runners on second and third following a Sattz double before scoring a pair of runs on wild pitches to cut the deficit to 9-4.
- However, that was all the Tornado would get as Pfeiffer took the contest 9-4.
Winning Pitcher: Jordan Toney (5-8) 5.1 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (3-6) 2.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Perry went 2-for-4 in game one with three runs scored while Eckard went 2-for-4 with two runs batted.
- Eckard then posted two hits and drove in two in the second game.
- Scudder posted five hits on the day and drove in four.
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.