GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University came up with a key Conference Carolinas series win on Saturday behind Preston Douglas. The senior had a perfect day at the plate, leading the Tornado to an 11-8 victory at Limestone College.
FINAL SCORE: King 11, Limestone 8
LOCATION: Founders FCU Stadium; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 19-24, 9-15 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 22-22, 10-14 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 3:04
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Ryan Sattz – DH
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Austin Dayton – 3B
5. J.P. Castaneda –2B
6. Bubba Ruiz – C
7. Braden Cook – LF
8. Dylan Sligh – 1B
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Gus Gill
Limestone Starting Lineup
1. Garrett Lowery – CF
2. Brandon Etheridge – RF
3. Zach Piazza – SS
4. Chase Allen – 3B
5. Brennan Strovink – DH
6. Trace Whetsell – 2B
7. Ryan Creps – LF
8. Danny Molinari – C
9. James Shepherd – 1B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Michael Todd Harris
- Douglas went 4-for-4 with a pair of walks, a double, four runs scored and two runs batted in.
- Sattz went 3-for-6, scoring three times and driving in one.
- Dayton hit a three-run home run and went 3-for-6 on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense go things going early, scoring four runs on three hits in the first inning.
- Douglas laced a double to left center, scoring a pair and Sligh plated a pair with a single, giving King a 4-0 advantage.
- King then loaded the bases, but the Saints got out of the jam.
- Sattz started the second inning with an infield single and later scored on an error before Ruiz drove in Douglas to give King a 6-0 lead.
- The Saints got on the board in the fourth inning, but King answered with four runs in the top of the fifth.
- Dayton had the big blow, a three-run home run, giving the Tornado a 10-2 advantage.
- Limestone added on in the sixth and cut their deficit to 10-7 with four runs in the seventh inning.
- Piazza came up with the big hit, a three-run home run.
- In the ninth inning, Douglas scored on a Ben Donaldson double, giving King an 11-7 advantage.
- The Saints scored one on a Piazza double in the ninth, but that was all Grant Boyd allowed, giving King the 11-8 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Piazza led the way for Limestone going 3-for-5 with two runs scored and four runs batted in.
- Allen went 2-for-5, scoring once and driving in one.
Winning Pitcher: Gill (3-0) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Harris (3-2) 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO
- King travels to take on Carson-Newman University on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- Limestone hosts Lenoir-Rhyne University on Tuesday.