GAFNEY, S.C – The King University baseball team played Conference Carolinas opponent Limestone College on Friday afternoon. The Tornado won game one 5-2 on a stellar pitching performance and fell 5-3 in game two.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Limestone 2; Limestone 5, King 3
LOCATION: Founders FCU Stadium; Gafney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 18-24-1, 8-15 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 22-21, 10-13 Conference Carolinas
- Austin Dayton had two hits in game one and in game two had a RBI.
- Preston Douglas went 3-for-7 in the doubleheader with a run and RBI.
- In the two game, Dylan Sligh was 2-for-3 with three walks and a double.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- King opened up the scoring with three runs in the top of the second inning when Dayton started the inning with a single up the middle. Ben Donaldson later doubled to right center scoring Dayton and Bubba Ruiz who had singled to right earlier in the inning. Sligh walked, then Tyler Bailey followed with a RBI double to right center, scoring Sligh to give King a 3-0 lead.
- The Saints cut into the lead with a two run sixth, highlighted by a Zach Piazza double down the right field line that scored Brandon Etheridge and a Chase Allen double that scored Piazza to make the score 3-2.
- The Tornado got some insurance runs in the top of the eighth with two runs scored to extend the lead to 5-2, highlighted by a Ruiz groundout that scored Douglas who had singled to start the inning.
- Two double plays turned by King helped Octavio Mirabal throw a complete game six hitter to defeat Limestone 5-2.
FOR THE FOES
- Shortstop Zach Piazza had two hits in game one, including a RBI double.
Winning Pitcher: Mirabal (7-4) 9.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Robert Bamford (1-3) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King struck first again in game one with a run in the top of the first when Douglas drove in Nicolas Keister who had singled to left center to start the inning to take the early lead 1-0.
- The Saints put up a three spot in the bottom of the second inning, highlighted by a Garrett Lowery walk that brought home Ryan Creps.
- The Tornado knotted the score at 3-3 in the top of the fourth inning when Keister drove in Sligh with a single to left field, who had singled to right field to start the inning and Bailey who had singled through the right side.
- Limestone took the lead 5-3 in the bottom of the sixth when Brennan Strovink hit a solo home run to right field and James Shepherd singled to left field, scoring Creps who had singed through the left side earlier in the inning as the Tornado were not able to mount a rally in the top of the seventh, falling 5-3.
Winning Pitcher: Josh Shaller (4-3) 7.0 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mitch Stophel (1-1) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Strovink had two hits in game two with a solo home run.
- Creps scored two runs, on a single and walk.
- The series concludes tomorrow. First pitch is set for 12:00 pm.