BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team earned a nonconference win over the University of Charleston on Tuesday afternoon, avenging an early season loss to the Golden Eagles. The Tornado had to come-from-behind, scoring four runs over the final six innings, including two in the eighth to take the 7-5 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 7, Charleston 5
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 17-21-1; Charleston 19-14
TIME OF GAME: 2:32
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Bubba Ruiz – C
3. Austin Dayton – 3B
4. Preston Douglas – 1B
5. Cam Haymans –LF
6. Marcus Schreiber – RF
7. Tyler Bailey – SS
8. Ryan Sattz – DH
9. Ben Donaldson – 2B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Heath Loyd
Charleston Starting Lineup
1. Austin Hathaway – LF
2. Colby Johnson – CF
3. Gianfranco Morello – 1B
4. Nick Wilson – C
5. Steven Davis – DH
6. Will Lucas – 2B
7. Justin Mixon – RF
8. Derek Dudek – 3B
9. Ryan Hunt – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Blake Stump
- Keister led the way at the plate, going 3-for-4 and scoring a pair of runs.
- Haymans also collected three hits, going 3-for-5 with a pair of runs batted in.
- Sattz drove in a pair, going 2-for-3 in the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keister got things going with a leadoff single in the bottom of the first and scored on a throwing error.
- Dayton later drove in Ruiz with a sacrifice fly, giving King a 2-0 lead after the first inning.
- The lead was short lived, however, as Charleston played three runs in the top of the second inning.
- Wilson started the frame with a double and later scored on a Mixon triple. Lucas also scored on the three-bagger and Mixon scored on a Tornado defensive miscue to give the Golden Eagles a 3-2 lead.
- Charleston stretched their lead to 5-2 in the third inning when Johnson plated one with a triple before scoring on a sacrifice fly.
- In the bottom of the inning, Schreiber pulled King within two with a sacrifice fly that scored Douglas who walked earlier in the inning.
- Sattz tried to get the offense going in the fourth inning with a leadoff single. He later scored on a Charleston error, cutting the deficit to 5-4.
- King loaded the bases in the sixth inning, and Douglas worked a walk, evening the score at 5-5.
- However, the Golden Eagles got the final two outs to get out of the jam and leave the bases loaded.
- Keister sparked the King offense in the eighth inning with a leadoff single. A hit by pitch and walk loaded the bases for Haymans who came up with a two-run single, putting King ahead 7-5.
- Grant Boyd made that stand up, striking out the side in the top of the ninth to give King the win and earn his first save of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Lucas and Mixon led the way for the Golden Eagles, each going 2-for-4. Mixon drove in a pair.
Winning Pitcher: Gus Gill (2-0) 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Save: Boyd (1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Andy Hoyer (1-1) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
- King travels to face regional rival Lincoln Memorial University at 3:00 p.m. The teams will finish the suspended game from two weeks ago before playing the originally scheduled contest.
- Charleston takes on Glenville State College on Friday.