BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team played the rubber game of the series on Sunday afternoon against North Greenville University. After falling behind 8-0 in the top of the fourth, King was not able to climb out of the deficit, the Crusaders taking victory 14-3.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 14, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-21-1, 7-14 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 30-12, 14-7 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 2:48
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Bubba Ruiz – C
3. Austin Dayton – 3B
4. Preston Douglas – RF
5. Tyler Bailey – SS
6. Cam Haymans – DH
7. Ben Donaldson – 2B
8. Dylan Sligh – 1B
9. Heath Loyd – LF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Mark Michael
North Greenville Starting Lineup
1. Clark Scolamiero – CF
2. Ryan Brown – LF
3. Connor Grant – RF
4. Nathaniel Maggio – 1B
5. Bennette Hill – 2B
6. Andrew Frazier – SS
7. Josh Black – DH
8. Brandon Odachowski – C
9. Eric Gilbert – 3B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Blake Hamilton
- Douglas had three hits in the contest with two doubles.
- Dayton hit a solo home run in game three as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Greenville took a 4-0 lead in the top of the third inning, highlighted by a Maggio doubled to right center that scored Grant who had doubled to left center earlier in the inning.
- The Crusaders put up another four runs in the top of the fourth to extend the lead to 8-0, highlighted by a Hill two-run single to center field, scoring Grant who had singled earlier in the inning and Brown who had reached on a fielding error.
- The Tornado pushed two runs across in the bottom of the fourth when Baileys drove in Dayton who had reached on a throwing error with a groundout to shortstop, followed by a Haymans single to right field that scored Douglas who had doubled down the right field line to make the score 8-2.
- A five run inning in the top of the seventh inning further extended the Crusaders lead to 13-2. Black had the big hit in the inning with a two-run triple to left center that scored Frazier who had reached on a fielding error and Hill who had singled to second base.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning, Dayton hit a solo homerun to make the score 13-3, the Tornado falling 14-3 once the game concluded.
FOR THE FOES
- The second basemen Hill had three hits in the rubber game with three runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Grant went 3-for-5 with two runs batted in, two runs scored, and a stolen base.
- King stays at home to play the University of Charleston on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to play at Coker College on Tuesday.