BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team squared off against Conference Carolina rival North Greenville University on Saturday afternoon. After falling 9-2 in game one, the Tornado scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh to walk-off with a 3-2 victory in game two.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 9, King 2; King 3, North Greenville 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-20-1, 7-13 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 28-12, 13-7 Conference Carolinas
- Nicolas Keister was 3-for-8 in the two games including a two-run double.
- Austin Dayton went 3-for-7 in the doubleheader with a solo home run.
- In game two Ryan Sattz was 1-for-1 with a pinch hit walk-off RBI single.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- North Greenville got the scoring underway in the top of the second with a two spot to take the lead 2-0, highlighted by a Clark Scolamiero single that brought in Josh Black who had singled to right field earlier in the inning.
- After scoring a run in the top of the fourth, the Crusaders put four runs in the top of the sixth, highlighted by a Scholamiero two-run double down the right field line to make the score 7-0.
- Another two runs were scored by the visiting opponent in the top of the seventh inning when Bennette Hill tripled down the right field line, later scoring on a Josh Black groundout to third base. Brandon Odachoski then drove in Andrew Frazier with a double down the left field line who had walked earlier in the inning to extend the lead to 9-0.
- The Tornado got on the board in the bottom of the ninth to make the score 9-2 when Nicholas Keister doubled down the right field line, scoring Heath Loyd, who had walked earlier in the inning and Ben Donaldson who had also walked earlier but King dropped the game 9-2.
FOR THE FOES
- Scholmiero had three hits and three runs batted in including a double.
- Designated hitter Black had two hits, scoring three runs and drove in a run.
Winning Pitcher: Tucker Burgess (6-1) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (3-5) 8.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 6 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Crusaders struck first again in game two with a run in the top of the second 1-0 when Black doubled down the left field line and the next batter Eric Gilbert bringing him home with a RBI single to center field.
- King knotted the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the fourth when Dayton hit a solo home run down the left field line.
- Northh Greenville took a 2-1 lead in the top of the seventh when Black walked and then stole second, later being driven in by another Gilbert RBI single to center.
- The Tornado started a rally when lead-off hitter Dayton started the bottom of the seventh with a single to shortstop. Tyler Bailey moved Marcus Schreiber to second with a sacrifice bunt, who had pinch run for Dayton. With two out, pinch hitter Cam Haymans walked, and was pinch run for with Loyd, then Dylan Sligh singled down the right field line to drive in Schreiber, advancing Loyd to third base. Sattz next pinched hit and singled to right field, scoring Loyd to give the Tornado an exciting 3-2 walk-off victory.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (6-4) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Canaan Cropper (6-4) 6.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Gilbert had two hits in game two runs batted in.
- Black went 1-for-2 with two runs scored and a walk.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The last time King had a walk-off win was against Erskine College in 2015 when Forrest Haga doubled down the left field line scoring Cody Rogers to win 7-6 in 12 innings.
- The series concludes tomorrow. First pitch is set for 1:00 pm.