BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Carson-Newman University on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado were locked in a tieless game until the Eagles were able to scratch across a run in the top of the ninth to win 1-0.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 1, King 0
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-19-1; Carson-Newman 19-17
TIME OF GAME: 2:42
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Nicolas Keister – RF
3. Ryan Sattz – DH
4. Preston Douglas – 1B
5. Bubba Ruiz – C
6. Ben Donaldson – 2B
7. Braden Cook – LF
8. Tyler Bailey – SS
9. Zak Kitzmiller – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Gus Gill
Carson-Newman Starting Lineup
1. Ryan Addington – CF
2. Joe Selitto – 2B
3. Cade Snapp – LF
4. Paul Kirby – 1B
5. Greg Jones – DH
6. Brett Langhorne – 3B
7. Gooch Green – C
8. Trever Lee – RF
9. Jimmy Rice - SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Grant Rabbitts
- Donaldson had a hit and stolen base in the contest.
- Ruiz was 1-for-3 with a hit and walk on the afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carson-Newman had a runner on third with one out in the top of the third, but were unable to score and in the top of the fifth had a runner on second with one out, again leaving the runner stranded heading into the bottom of the fifth 0-0.
- The Tornado got their first hit in the bottom of the fifth when Donaldson singled through the right side with two outs, stole second, and then was left in scoring position to end the inning.
- King held an Eagle threat in check in the top of the sixth when they had first and third again with one out when Boyd got Greer to strike out swinging and the next play Langhorne got picked off third base by a Ruiz throw to Castaneda.
- In the bottom of the seventh the Tornado had their best chance to break through when they had runners on second and third with one out, a double play ending their chance.
- The Eagles pushed across a run when pinch hitter Campbell singled through the right side to take the lead 1-0, scoring Hinshaw who had pinch ran for Jones after he started the inning with a single.
- With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Douglas walked, followed by a Ruiz singled to left, to give King a chance but both runners were stranded to end the game 1-0.
FOR THE FOES
- Campbell had the big hit in the game, pinch hitting to deliver a RBI single.
- Selitto and Jones had two hits apiece, Jones having the only extra base hit of the game with a double.
- King goes on the road to play at Montreat College tomorrow. First pitch from Montreat, N.C. is slated for 1:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman is set to play at Lincoln Memorial on Friday.