BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Southern Wesleyan for game three of the Conference Carolina's match-up. The Tornado scored four runs in the top of the second and was all the offense the pitching staff needed as King completed the sweep with a 4-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 4, Southern Wesleyan 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-18-1, 6-12 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 9-25, 4-14 Conference Carolinas
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Nicolas Keister – CF
3. Dylan Sligh – 1B
4. Preston Douglas – RF
5. Austin Dayton – DH
6. Braden Cook – LF
7. Ben Donaldson – 2B
8. Bubba Ruiz – C
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Mark Michael
Southern Wesleyan Starting Lineup
1. John Garrett– SS
2. Dimarkus Sanders – CF
3. Alec Hrynda – DH
4. Julio Justo – 2B
5. Connor Ewing – C
6. Jason Moldenhauer – LF
7. Quinton Bent – 1B
8. Trevor Walker – 3B
9. Justin Brew – RF
Starting Pitcher: RHP JJ Julian
- In game three of the series Castaneda went 1-for-3 with two walks and a two-run single.
- Donaldson was 1-for-2 with two walks, a run scored, and two stolen bases.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King put up a four spot in the bottom of the second when Donaldson and Ruiz had back-to-back walks, followed by a Bailey sacrifice bunt to advance the runners. Castaneda then singled through the right side, driving in Ruiz and Donaldson. Keister then walked, followed by a Douglas RBI single to right field to score Castaneda. Dayton next singled through the left side to score Keister to give the Tornado an early 4-0 advantage.
- Junior Michaels had a perfect game going into the top of the fifth until Julio Justo of Southern Wesleyan singled to right field, who later was driven in by a Moldenhauer two-run home run to left field to cut into the lead 4-2.
- In the top of the seventh inning, the Warrior had runners on first and second with one out when Stophel came in for Michaels to pitch. Moldenhauer walked, then Stophel got Bent to ground into a 643 double play to end the threat.
- The Tornado held Southern Wesyelan scoreless the next two innings to gather the 4-2 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Left fielder Moldenhauer did the damage for the Warriors hitting a two-run home run.
- Julio Justo had the only other hit for Southern Wesleyan going 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.
Winning Pitcher: Michael (1-1) 6.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Save: Stophel (3) 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hendricks (2-4) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The last time King swept a Conference Carolina opponent was against Southern Wesleyan at home in 2015.
- King stays at home to face Carson-Newman on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 3:30.
- Southern Wesleyan next plays on Tuesday at Brevard.