BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Conference Carolina opponent Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado won game one 5-0 and took game two 8-1 on a big five run sixth inning.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Southern Wesleyan 0; King 8, Southern Wesleyan 1
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-18-1, 5-12 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 9-25, 4-13 Conference Carolinas
- J.P. Castaneda continued his hot hitting, going 3-for-8 in the doubleheader with a three run double.
- Nicolas Keister was 5-for-6 in the two games with three runs scored, a double, and a two-run triple.
- In game two Bubba Ruiz was 3-for-3 with two runs scored.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado put two runs up in the bottom of the second when Cam Haymans drove in Braden Cook with a groundout to short who had reached on an error to start the inning and Ben Donaldson knocked Tyler Bailey in later having singled to center earlier in the inning to give King a 2-0 lead.
- King put up another run in the bottom of the third when Anthony Hunt hit a triple down the right field line, then being brought in by a Cook suicide squeeze to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Hunt singled to left field in the bottom of the fifth inning to bring in Keister to make who had doubled to right center to start the inning to make the score 4-0.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning the Tornado added another run to pad the lead to 5-0 when Cook scored on a throwing error by the first basemen which was more than enough run support for Octavio Mirabal who pitched eighth and a third scoreless innings.
FOR THE FOES
- Dimarkus Sanders went 1-for-3 in the contest with a walk.
Winning Pitcher: Mirabal (5-4) 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mike Batten (3-3) 8.0 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Southern Wesleyan struck first in the top of the second when Alec Hryndra doubled to left field, later scoring on a Quentin Bent single to right field to take the early lead 1-0.
- The Tornado came back with a three spot in the bottom of the fifth, highlighted by a Keister triple down the right field line plating Bailey and Ruiz to make the score 3-1.
- King had a big five run bottom of the sixth, when Donaldson started the inning with a single through the left side, followed by a Ruiz single to first base. Bailey then reached on a fielder's choice to load the bases for Castaneda who cleared them with a double down the left field line. Douglas later had a sac fly to left field that scored Castaneda, Keister coming home on a throwing error on the relay to extend the lead to 8-1 which was the final in game two.
Winning Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (3-4) 5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Josh Antwine (2-6) 4.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Bent had two hits in game two and an RBI.
- Hrynda had a double in the contest with a run scored.
- The series concludes tomorrow. First pitch is set for 12:30 pm.