BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Lincoln Memorial University in a midweek matchup on Wednesday. The Tornado put up a late rally to tie the game at 9-9 in the bottom of the ninth, darkness not allowing the game to go to extra innings. The game is scheduled to be resumed on April 12th when King travels to Lincoln Memorial.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Lincoln Memorial 9
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-18-1; Lincoln Memorial 17-15-1
TIME OF GAME: 3:43
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Nicolas Keister – RF
3. Dylan Sligh – DH
4. Preston Douglas – 1B
5. Bubba Ruiz – C
6. Marcus Schreiber – LF
7. Tyler Bailey – SS
8. Ben Donaldson – 2B
9. Zak Kitzmiller – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Gus Gill
Lincoln Memorial Starting Lineup
1. Seth Hunt – 2B
2. Mason Ewers – LF
3. Logan Augustine – CF
4. Russel Clark – DH
5. Timmy Wages – 1B
6. Eric Kalman – 3B
7. Muta Crusoe – RF
8. Tyler Adams – SS
9. Dalton Dedas - C
Starting Pitcher: RHP Derek Trainor-Fogleman
- Castaneda drove in two runners, going 3-for-4 in the in the game to be resumed.
- Ruiz had two hits, driving in two gunners with a double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lincoln Memorial put up a three spot in the top of the first, highlighted by a Kalman two-run doubled down the left field line to take the early lead 3-0.
- The Tornado came back with three runs of their own in the bottom of the first when Castaneda led off with a walk, followed by a Keister walk to put runner on first and second. Sligh then singled to left, scoring Castaneda. Ruiz later came up and hit a two-run double right center, scoring Sligh and Keister to knot the score 3-3.
- The Railsplitters took the lead back briefly in the top of the second when Ewers hit a solo home run down the left field line to make the score 4-3.
- In the bottom of the second, Kitzmiller singled to left to start the inning and was driven in by a Castaneda RBI single to right center to tie the game at 4-4.
- King took back the lead 7-4 in the bottom of the fourth, highlighted by Sligh reaching on an error by the second basemen, scoring Keister and Castaneda.
- A three run top of the sixth tied the game at 7-7, with the big hit for the Railsplitters coming from a Hunt two-run single to right center, scoring Crusoe and Kalman.
- LMU took the lead with two runs in the top of the eighth inning to make the score 9-7, highlighted by Augustine driving in Hunt with a single.
- In the bottom of the eighth, the Tornado came within a run 9-8 when Castaneda drove home Kitzmiller who singled to shortstop earlier in the inning.
- King tied the game at 9-9 when Ruiz singled to center field with two outs, followed by a Loyd single to center field, Ruiz scored on a throwing error by the center fielder. The game was called due to darkness at 9-9.
FOR THE FOES
- Four Lincoln Memorial players had two hits apiece, led by a two-run home run from Ewers and a double.
- Kalman had two hits including a double, driving in two runs.
- King is scheduled to host Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday with the doubleheader starting at noon.
- Lincoln Memorial is set to play on the road against Tusculum on Friday.