BECKLEY, W.Va. – The King University took to the road to take on the University of Charleston and the Tornado held the advantage the majority of the contest. However, the Golden Eagles plated three runs in the sixth inning to take the contest 5-4.
FINAL SCORE: Charleston 5, King 4
LOCATION: Epling Stadium; Beckley, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 12-18; Charleston 16-7
TIME OF GAME: 3:00
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Braden Cook – 2B
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Cam Haymans – LF
5. Bubba Ruiz – C
6. Tyler Bailey – SS
7. Dylan Sligh – DH
8. Nicolas Keister – CF
9. Ryan Sattz – 1B
Starting Pitcher: LHP Octavio Mirabal
Charleston Starting Lineup
1. Colby Johnson – CF
2. Gianfranco Morello – 1B
3. Lee Carneal – SS
4. Nick Wilson – DH
5. Steven Davis – C
6. Jeff Somuk – LF
7. Taylor Itnyre – 2B
8. Ethan Hunt – RF
9. Jesse Elliott – 3B
Starting Pitcher: LHP Kaleb Kinder
- Castaneda led the way from the leadoff spot for the Tornado, going 5-for-5 and scoring one run. He also laced his eighth double of the season.
- Ruiz ripped a double, going 3-for-5 and scoring a run.
- Sligh drove in one and score one while going 3-for-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King opened the scoring on a sacrifice fly from Sligh, scoring Ruiz who doubled earlier in the second inning to give the Tornado the lead.
- However, Charleston answered with an Elliott RBI single to even the score in the bottom of the inning.
- The Tornado regained the lead as Castaneda stole third and scored on a throwing error, giving King a 2-1 lead.
- The Golden Eagles answered again, scoring one run on a Wilson single in the bottom of the inning, evening the tally.
- King gained a little separation in the fourth inning as a Sattz single scored Sligh who started the frame with a base hit. Douglas gave King a 4-2 advantage with a single that scored Sattz later in the inning.
- However, the Golden Eagles answered again, this time in the sixth inning. Hunt doubled to score one and Johnson gave Charleston a 5-4 lead with a two-run single later in the frame.
- Bailey and Sligh tried to spark the Tornado offense in the ninth, but that was all King would get as the Golden Eagles took the contest 5-4.
FOR THE FOES
- Johnson drove in a pair going 1-for-4.
- Hunt recorded a pair of hits, driving in one and scoring once.
- Somuk scored a pair of runs.
Winning Pitcher: Andy Hoyer (1-0) 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Save: Levi Nash (3) 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Miguel Deguzman (0-1) 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
- King returns home on Wednesday to face regional rival Lincoln Memorial University at 3:30 p.m.
- Charleston travels to West Liberty University on Saturday.