BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team finished their series against Conference Carolinas rival Erskine College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 5-2, and fell in game two 8-3.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Erskine 2; Erskine 8, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-17, 3-12 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 23-9, 13-2 Conference Carolinas
- Preston Douglas had the big hit in game one, going 2-for-4 with a two-run home run and had a double in game two.
- Braden Cook was 3-for-6 in the two games with a run scored, stolen base and a walk.
- Cam Haymans went 2-for-2 in game one with a RBI double.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado had the first two runs in the bottom of the first to take the lead 2-0 when Cook singled to shortstop and was then driven in by a Douglas two-run home run down the right field line.
- Erskine came back with a run in the top of the third when Chaz Davey singled to left field, bringing home Chase Watts who had singled to third base earlier in the inning to make the score 2-1.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Anthony Hunt singled to left to start the inning. Bailey later walked, then Haymans singled to right to load the bases. Nicholas Keister then hit a sac fly to right, driving in Hunt. Castaneda followed with a walk and on a pass ball, bailey scored to extend the lead to 4-1.
- The Flying Fleet added another in the top of sixth to cut into the lead 4-2 when Henry Fauce doubled to right center later scoring on a Destin Nichols RBI single to center field.
- King came right back with a run in the bottom of the sixth when Cam Haymans doubled to right center, scoring Tyler Bailey who had singled to left field earlier to make the score 5-2. The Tornado held Erskine in the top of the seventh to take game one 5-2.
FOR THE FOES
- Davey had two hits with a RBI.
- Wood went 2-for4 with a triple.
Winning Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (3-5) 7.0 IP, 11 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Alex Calvert (6-3) 5.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Erskine put up a four spot in the top of the first, highlighted by a Nichols two-run double to left center, scoring Taylor Maxey who had singled to center field earlier in the inning and Henry Fauce who reached on a fielding error to take the 4-0 advantage.
- The Flying Fleet tacked on another run in the top of the fourth inning when AJ Fabrizio doubled to left center, later scoring on a William Ruby single to right field to make the score 5-0.
- A three run top of the eighth extended the lead to 8-0, highlighted by a Nichols two-run doubled down the left field line.
- The Tornado got on the board in the bottom of the eighth when Keister singled to center field to start the inning, followed by a Castaneda single to center. Cook then walked to load the bases with no outs. Dylan Sligh singled to left to score Castaneda and Keister, Cook scoring on an error by the centerfielder to make the score 8-3 which ended up being the final in game two.
Winning Pitcher: Zach Bowers (6-1) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (4-4) 7.2 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Nichols had two hits in game two with two doubles and four runs batted in.
- Fabrizio drove in a run and had two hits as well.
- King next plays on Tuesday when they play at Charleston, W. Va. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- Erskine stays on the road to play Anderson University on Tuesday.