WILSON, N.C. – The King University baseball team wrapped up their series against Barton College on Saturday. The Tornado had an offensive outburst in in the game, scoring 17 runs and hitting three home runs to take the contest 17-8.
FINAL SCORE: King 17, Barton 8
LOCATION: Fleming Stadium, Wilson, N.C
RECORDS: King 10-14, 2-10 Conference Carolinas; Barton 18-11, 3-9 Conference Carolinas
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Braden Cook – 2B
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Ryan Sattz – DH
5. Tyler Bailey – SS
6. Bubba Ruiz – C
7. Dylan Sligh – 1B
8. Nicolas Keister – CF
9. Austin Dayton – 3B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Brandon Leonard
Barton Starting Lineup
1. Tyler Garrett – CF
2. Hunter Pearce – LF
3. Andrew Webster – DH
4. Calvin Hawke – SS
5. Gatlin Pate – 3B
6. Chase Riker – 2B
7. Jacob Willis – C
8. Troy Maslowski – RF
9. Shawn Montren – 1B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Kerry Walker
- Third baseman Dayton had a double and a three-run homerun in the contest, going 3-for-6, driving in five runs.
- Ruiz had a grand slam home run and double, going 2-for-4 with five runs batted in.
- Bailey went 2-for-3 in the series finale with four runs driven in, hitting a three-run home run, scoring three runs, and stealing two bags.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got on the board right out of the gates in the top of the first when Castaneda started the game with a double down the left field line, later scoring on a Douglas RBI single up the middle to give King a 1-0 advantage.
- Three more runs were scored by King in the top of the second inning when Dayton doubled to left, driving in Keister who had doubled earlier in the inning to left field, and Sligh who singled to left. Castaneda next followed with a single up the middle to drive home Dayton to extend the lead to 4-0.
- Barton got on the board in the bottom of the third when Webster hit a solo home run to left to make the score 4-1.
- King built on its lead with a big six run inning in the top of the fourth to go up 10-0 when Castaneda singled to left, Cook then singled and a throwing error on the play allowed Castaneda to cross the plate. Douglas followed with a walk, and Sattz then singled through the left side to load the bases. Bailey was hit by a pitch, scoring Cook. Ruiz next cleared the bases with a grand slam.
- In the top of the fifth, Douglas walked to start the inning, Sattz, singled to right, then Bailey hit a three-run home run to left to make the score 13-1.
- The Bulldogs put up a two spot in the bottom of the fifth to cut into the lead 13-3, highlighted by a Hake two-run home run to center field, scoring Webster who had doubled down the left field line previously.
- Sligh walked with two outs in the top of the seventh inning, Keister was hit by a pitch, and then Dayton hit a three-run homer to extend the lead 16-3.
- Webster hit another solo home run in the bottom of the seventh to make the score 16-4.
- A four spot was put up by Barton to make the score 16-8, highlighted by a Webster double to left center, scoring Garrett.
- King scored their final run in the top of the ninth when Bailey walked, stole second, and was driven in by a Ruiz to extend the lead 17-8 which was the final.
FOR THE FOES
- Lead-off hitter Surum went 2-for-5 in the game with two runs batted in and a triple.
- Ellis was 1-for-3 in the contest with a three-run home run.
Winning Pitcher: Leonard (2-3) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Walker (5-3) 3.1 IP, 11 H, 10 R, 9 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Ruiz and Dayton each had five runs batted in which is the first time two Tornado players have driven in five runs of more since becoming a NCAA II member in 2011.
- The Tornado next play on Tuesday when they travel to play Mars Hill University. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
- Barton next plays on Tuesday when they host Catawba.