WILSON, N.C. – The King University baseball team played Conference Carolina opponent Barton College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado fell 8-1 in game two, and 3-2 in a very tight game two that went into extra innings.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 8, King 1; Barton 3, King 2
LOCATION: Fleming Stadium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-14, 1-10 Conference Carolinas; Barton 17-10, 3-8 Conference Carolinas
- Preston Douglas went 2-for-4 in game one with a double and run scored.
- J.P. Castaneda was 1-for-4 in game two with a key two-run double.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Barton struck early with two runs 2-0 in the bottom of the first when Calvin Hawke singled to right center, driving in Hunter Pearre who has singled earlier in the inning. Gatling Pate later in the inning drove in Andrew Webster with a Sac fly to right field who had reached on an error by the shortstop.
- King cut the deficit in half with a run in the top of the fourth when Douglas led off the inning with a double down the right field line and was later scored on a Anthony Hunt RBI single through the right side to make the score 2-1.
- The Bulldogs came right back with a run in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 3-1 when Troy Maslowski doubled to right center and was later driven in by a Tyler Garrett single through the right side.
- In the bottom of the fifth Barton tacked on another run when Calvin Hawke hit a solo shot to extend the lead to 4-1.
- The home team came with two runs in both the sixth and eighth innings to extend the lead to 8-1, highlighted by a Hawke RBI double in the sixth, and RBI single in the eighth.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (4-3) 5.1 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Dylan Ward (5-2) 9.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King got on the board first in game two 2-0 when Tyler Bailey started inning with a single through the left side, Sligh then followed with single to right advancing Bailey to second. Castaneda later knocked both runs in with a double down the left field line.
- The Bulldogs edged closer with a run in the bottom of the fourth when Pate singled to left center, scoring Webster who started the inning with a double to make the score 2-1.
- Barton knotted the score up 2-2 in the bottom of the fifth when Shawn Montren walked to start the inning, later scoring on a Webster double down the right field line.
- In extra innings the Bulldogs walked off 3-2, Webster scored on a wild pitch who had singled to the pitcher to start the inning.
Winning Pitcher: Trent Fennell (4-0) 8.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 11 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (2-5) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 10 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Hawke was 2-for-4 in game one with four runs batted in including a homerun.
- Webster went 4-for-8 with two runs batted in, scored five runs, and had three doubles.
- The series wraps up tomorrow. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m.