BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team finished their Conference Carolinas series against Mount Olive University on Saturday afternoon. A tied game until the sixth inning, the Trojans had multiple three run innings to take the contest 6-0.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 6, King 0
LOCATION: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-12, 1-8 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 19-5, 9-0 Conference Carolinas
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
2. Braden Cook – 2B
3. Dylan Sligh – 1B
4. Bubba Ruiz – C
5. Heath Loyd – LF
6. Preston Douglas – RF
7. Anthony Hunt – DH
8. Tyler Bailey – SS
9. Nicolas Keister – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Mark Hendricks
Mount Olive Starting Lineup
1. Ricky Surum– SS
2. David Mayo – LF
3. Drew Ellis – 1B
4. Jason Smith – 3B
5. Zach Mozingo – DH
6. Gunner Tolston – RF
7. Jose Lopez – C
8. Alvin Swoope – 2B
9. Grant Tyndall – CF
Starting Pitcher: LHP Bruce Zimmerman
- Hunt went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Keister was 2-for-3 with a stolen base.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A scoreless game through five innings, the Trojans put a three spot on the board in the top of the sixth to make the score 3-0, highlighted by a Drew Ellis three-run home run that drove in Tyndall who had walked to start the inning and Mayo who had singled.
- Mount Olive added three more runs in the top of the ninth inning to extend the lead to 6-0, Surum had the big hit in the inning, tripling down the right field line that scored Tyndall and Lopez.
- King's best opportunity to get on the scoreboard was in the bottom of the third inning when Keister singled to start the inning, later followed by a Cook walk with one out. Again in the bottom of the ninth the Tornado had two runners on with one out but were not able to mount a rally, falling 6-0.
FOR THE FOES
- Lead-off hitter Surum went 2-for-5 in the game with two runs batted in and a triple.
- Ellis was 1-for-3 in the contest with a three-run home run.
Winning Pitcher: Zimmerman (4-0) 8.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hendricks (2-4) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
- King next plays on Tuesday when they play at Tusculum College. First pitch is set for 5:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive next plays on Monday when they host Franklin Pierce University.