BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing their first midweek game in a few weeks, the King University baseball team defeated Brevard College on Wednesday afternoon. The Tornado scored six runs over the final two innings to take the contest 11-5.
FINAL SCORE: King 11, Brevard 5
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-9; Brevard 6-14
TIME OF GAME: 2:52
King Starting Lineup
1. Heath Loyd – LF
2. Braden Cook – 2B
3. Dylan Sligh – 1B
4. Austin Dayton – 3B
5. Anthony Hunt – DH
6. Preston Douglas – RF
7. Tyler Bailey – SS
8. Bubba Ruiz – C
9. Nicolas Keister – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Mitch Stophel
Brevard Starting Lineup
1. Josh Hall – LF
2. Donny Carsillo – CF
3. Schuyler Martire – 2B
4. Kyle Morrison – 1B
5. Blaine Durham – RF
6. Brayden Morris – C
7. Tyler Konzen – 3B
8. Parker Hubbard – SS
9. Joseph Nelms - DH
Starting Pitcher: LHP Kyle Pittman
- Six Tornado recorded at least two hits in the contest, including Sligh and Douglas with three apiece. Douglas went 3-for-5 and scored three times and Sligh went 3-for-4 and drove in a pair.
- Bailey went 2-for-3 and drove in three while Keister went 2-for-2 with two walks.
- Ruiz drove in two, going 2-for-4 and Cook went 2-for-4, scoring once and driving in one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ruiz and Keister got the King offense going with back-to-back infield singles to start the third inning. Loyd then drove in Ruiz with a fielder's choice and Cook followed with an infield single to score Keister.
- Sligh made it a 3-0 lead with a single to left field that scored Loyd.
- However, Brevard answered with three runs in the top of the fourth inning. Hubbard highlighted the inning with a two-run single to even the tally.
- Nevertheless, Bailey put King back on top with a single that scored Douglas who doubled to start the bottom of the inning, giving the Tornado a 4-3 lead.
- Douglas and Bailey started the sixth inning the same way, with a double and single to give King a 5-3 lead.
- The Tornado broke the game open in the seventh inning, scoring four runs. The frame was highlighted by a Ruiz two-run single to left field, putting King ahead 9-3.
- Brevard tallied one run in the eight, and King scored two in the bottom of the inning. The bottom of the frame was highlighted by a Dayton RBI fielder's choice.
- The Tornadoes added one in the ninth, but King took the contest 11-5
FOR THE FOES
- Carsillo and Nelms led Brevard with two hits apiece.
- Hubbard drove in a pair for the Tornadoes.
Winning Pitcher: Stophel (1-0) 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Teke Skudder (1-3) 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
- King is scheduled to host the University of Mount Olive in a Conference Carolinas series on Friday and Saturday. First pitch on Friday is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. with Saturday's doubleheader scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
- Brevard hosts St. Andrews University on Thursday.