FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University baseball team competed their Conference Carolinas series against Emmanuel College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado lost a close game one 4-3, and fell 8-3 in game two.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 4, King 3; Emmanuel 8, King 3
LOCATION: Tommy Carey Baseball Field; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 8-9, 1-5 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 9-10, 4-5 Conference Carolinas
- Austin Dayton went 2-for-4 in game one with a run scored and a solo home run.
- Anthony Hunt was 3-for-7 in the doubleheader with a run scored, a walk, and three runs batted in.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Emmanuel struck first to take the lead 1-0 in the bottom of the first when Eric Pape had an RBI groundout to third, scoring Stephen Skeggs who had singled up the middle to start the game.
- The lions tacked on three more runs to extend the lead 4-0 in the bottom the third, highlighted by a Josh Viveros two-run home run.
- King cut into the lead in the top of the fourth with a two run inning when Tyler Bailey knocked a base hit up the middle that scored Bubba Ruiz who had singled through the left side earlier in the inning, and Preston Douglas who was hit by a pitch to make the score 4-2.
- Dayton hit a solo home run in the top of the fifth to edge closer 4-3.
- The Tornado could not score in the final two innings, the Lions edging King by a 4-3 final score.
Winning Pitcher: Cooper Murphy (1-1) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (1-2) 3.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Lions tuck the early lead 2-0 in the bottom of the first highlighted by a Jacob Teston single down the right field line that scored Brock Baughcum who had doubled earlier in the inning.
- Emmanuel extended the lead to 3-0 when Dallas Richards singled down the left field line, scoring Phillip Swindell who had singled up the middle earlier in the inning.
- King knotted the score at 3-3 when Zac Kitzmiller led off the inning with a single to right center, Braden Cook walked, and Dylan Sligh was hit by a pitch brining Ryan Sattz to the plate. He then walked scoring Kitzmiller and Hunt followed with a two-run single to left field that scored Sligh and Cook.
- A four run inning by the Lions in the bottom of the fifth, highlighted by a Hanon Price double down the right field line, scoring Baughcum who singled up the middle earlier in the inning and a Swindell two-run single, scoring Pape who had walked and Baughcum, broke the tie 7-3.
- The Tornado were scoreless the last four innings and the final score was 8-3.
Winning Pitcher: Zach Wells (3-1) 4.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (2-3) 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Price was 4-for-6 in the two game with two runs scored, two runs batted in, two doubles, an RBI and stolen base.
- Baughcum went 3-for-5 in game two with three runs scored, a double and stole a base.
- King stays on the road to play Mars Hill University on Tuesday. First pitch from Mars Hill, N.C. is set for 2:30 pm.
- Emmanuel College next plays on Tuesday at Anderson S.C.