FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University baseball team faced off against Emmanuel College on Friday night. The Tornado pulled to an early 2-0 lead in the second, but fell to the Lions 16-6.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 16, King 6
LOCATION: Tommy Carey Baseball Field, Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 8-7, 1-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 7-10, 2-5 Conference Carolinas
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Heath Loyd – 2B
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Dylan Sligh – 1B
5. Ryan Sattz – DH
6. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
7. Braden Cook – LF
8. Bubba Ruiz – C
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: LHP Octavio Mirabal
Emmanuel College Starting Lineup
1. Stephen Skeggs– RF
2. Brock Baughcum – 3B
3. Eric Pape – 1B
4. Austin Copeland – LF
5. Jacob Teston – CF
6. Phillip Swindell – DH
7. Brandon Hill – C
8. Cooper Murphy – SS
9. Chaise Parker – 2B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Bryson Cornett
- Ruiz went 2-for-3 with one run scored, two runs driven in, and had two doubles.
- Sligh was 2-for-5 with three runs batted in on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King struck in the top of the first when Keister singled up the middle to start the game and was later knocked in by a Sligh RBI single to make the score 1-0.
- The Tornado added another run in the top of the second to extend the lead to 2-0 when Ruiz doubled right field, driving in Castaneda who singled to start the inning.
- The Lions took the lead in the bottom of the second with a four inning highlighted by a Baughcum two-run single 4-2.
- Emmanuel added had another four run inning in the bottom of the third to make the score 8-2. Skeggs had a two-run double in the inning.
- The home team added eight more runs in the next four innings to extend the lead to 16-4, heading into the top of the eighth.
- Sligh had a two-run singled in the top of the ninth to score Douglas, who had reached on an error and Loyd who had doubled to left center to start the inning making the score 16-6 which ended up being the final.
FOR THE FOES
- Skeggs was 5-for-6 in the game with two runs score, four runs batted in, and had two doubles.
- Livingston was 2-for-4 with one run scored and two runs driven in.
Winning Pitcher: Cornett (1-0) 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mirabal (4-1) 3.1 IP, 8 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes on Saturday with a doubleheader at 12:00 p.m.