BRISTOL, Tenn. – Following a sweep on Saturday, the King University baseball team split with Mansfield University on Sunday to take the series 3-1. Mansfield took the first game 3-2 before King came from behind to take the nightcap 10-6.
FINAL SCORE: Mansfield 3, King 2; King 10, Brevard 6
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-4; Mansfield1-3
- Five Tornado record at least two hits on the day, including three with three hits.
- J.P. Castaneda, Austin Dayton and Braden Cook all registered three hits on the day. Cook went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and drove in three in game two.
- Cam Haymans registered a pair of hits in game two and scored a run while Tyler Bailey also recorded a pair of knocks and scored twice.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Mansfield didn't waste any time getting on the scoreboard, plating the game's first run in the top of the first inning.
- A pair of walks started the frame and a Tanner Klein single through the left sided scored Dionel Infante, putting the Mounties on top.
- In the second inning, Castaneda started a two-out rally with a single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Cook then drove him in with a single to left, evening the tally.
- The Mounties answered in the top of the third, plating a run on an error to regain the advantage.
- In the bottom half of the inning, King evened the score again, this time it was Heath Loyd that ripped a double down the left field line that scored Nicolas Keister who walked earlier in the inning.
- Peter Pena started the top of the fourth with a line drive home run down the left field line, giving the lead back to Mansfield.
- Dayton tried to spark a seventh inning rally with a leadoff single, and Castaneda sacrificed him to second.
- However, following a walk, the Mounties turned a double play, giving Mansfield the contest 3-2.
Winning Pitcher: Evan McAndrew (1-0) 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Save: Joseph Deperno (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Byron Ferguson (0-1) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Mansfield grabbed the lead in the top of the first inning again, plating a pair of runs on a bases loaded walk and wild pitch.
- Dylan Sligh cut the Tornado deficit in half in the bottom half of the inning when he drove in Cook with a groundout.
- Bailey drove in Castaneda in the second inning to even the score and Dayton gave King a 3-2 lead with a single that scored Preston Douglas in the third inning.
- Nevertheless, Mansfield answered with four runs, three on a bases loaded double from Infante and another on a Klein single, giving the Mounties a 6-3 advantage in the middle of the fourth inning.
- However, King answered in the bottom half of the inning as Haymans ripped a leadoff single and Bailey followed with a single.
- Following a sacrifice bunt, Cook drove in a pair and Dayton later laced a single to left, scoring Cook to even the tally at 6-6 after four innings.
- Brandon Leonard took the mound for the Tornado to get the final out of the fourth inning, and then tossed a 1-2-3 fifth frame to bring the King offense back to the plate.
- Castaneda started the frame with a triple to get the rally going.
- King then took advantage of three Mansfield defensive miscues as Castaneda scored on a ground ball that was misplayed by the defense. Pinch runner Zak Kitzmiller scored on a wild pitch before Cook drove in another, and added another on an error to take a 10-6 lead.
- Leonard struck out the side in the sixth and worked around a leadoff double in the seventh to give King the 10-6 win and earn the first victory of his career.
Winning Pitcher: Leonard (1-0) 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ridge Walker (0-1) 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Klein led Mansfield, going 5-for-7 with two doubles on the day, including 3-for-4 and driving in one in the nightcap.
- Taylor Hillson was next for the Mounties, recording a pair of hits and scoring two runs on the day.
- Infante scored three runs and drove in three on the day.
- The Tornado stay at home to face Tusculum College on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mansfield takes on Assumption College in Cary, N.C. on Saturday.