BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team had their home opener against Mansfield University on Friday afternoon. The Tornado won 6-3 in game one off a persistent offense and won a close game two by a score of 2-1, scoring runs in the late innings.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, Mansfield 3; King 2, Mansfield 1
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-3; Mansfield 0-2
- Tyler Bailey went 2-for-5 on the day with a home run, two runs batted in, and a run scored.
- Preston Douglas was 3-for-6 with a triple and a RBI in the double header.
- Nicolas Keister went 2-for-6 on the afternoon with a double, two runs scored, and a stolen base.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- King scored first in the bottom of the second when J.P. Castaneda had an RBI groundout to short that scored Dylan Sligh who had singled to start the inning.
- Mansfield briefly had the lead in the top of the third when the Mountaineers scored two runs off of an error to take the lead 2-1.
- The Tornado scored three runs in the bottom of the third when Bailey started the inning with a solo home run. Keister then doubled to left center and stole third, later scoring on a Heath Loyd RBI fielder's choice. Loyd then stole second and was advanced to third on a Douglas single to right field. Dylan Sligh then knocked in Loyd with a ground out to second to make the score 4-2.
- King and Mansfied scored a run apiece in the fourth inning when Douglas singled to center field, driving in Loyd who has singled to start the inning in the bottom of the fifth, making the score 6-3.
- The Tornado held off the Mountaineers in the last two innings to take the contest 6-3.
Winning Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (2-1) 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
Save: Mitch Stophel (1) 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Chris Pepper (0-1) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- In his third career start for the Tornado, Octavio Mirabal pitched a seven inning complete three hitter, allowing one unearned run, striking out eight.
- The Mountaineers scored their only run in the top of the second when Jerry Chavarria had a Sac Fly to right field that scored Wes Custer who had reached on an error to begin the inning.
- The Tornado tied Mansfield 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning when Bailey had a key RBI single to right field that scored Castaneda who had doubled earlier in the inning.
- King took the lead in the bottom of the sixth 2-1 when Austin Dayton singled through the right side, scoring Keister who had singled to center to start the inning.
- A one, two, three inning in the bottom of the seventh gave King the victory 2-1.
Winning Pitcher: Mirabel (3-0) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Luke Hils (0-1) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Jerry Rockwell was 1-4 on the day with a Sac Fly RBI.
- King plays Mansfield University again tomorrow in a double header. First pitch is set for 12:00 pm.
- Mansfield University plays King tomorrow at 12:00 pm.