YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. – The King University baseball team went for their second straight series win to start the season, but home-standing Young Harris College had a different idea. The Tornado had the lead and many chances, but Young Harris used two big innings, including six runs in the eighth inning to take the contest 10-7.
FINAL SCORE: Young Harris 10, King 7
LOCATION: Zell B. Miller Field; Young Harris, Ga.
RECORDS: King 4-3; Young Harris 2-4
TIME OF GAME: 2:59
King Starting Lineup
1. Nicolas Keister – CF
2. Heath Loyd – 2B
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Dylan Sligh – 1B
5. Ryan Sattz – DH
6. Bubba Ruiz – C
7. J.P. Castaneda – 3B
8. Tyler Bailey – SS
9. Braden Cook – LF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Gus Gill
Young Harris Starting Lineup
1. Nick Sexton – RF
2. Rudy Gaona – LF
3. Zach Odom – SS
4. Zach Wall – 1B
5. Zach Beggs – 3B
6. Luke Miller – 2B
7. Jackson Jones – C
8. Brett Westmoreland – DH
9. Tyler Washington – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Crawford
- Sligh led the way offensively driving in three runs, going 2-for-4 with a home run, his third of the season.
- Douglas drove in a pair of runs, going 2-for-3 with a pair of walks.
- Ruiz ripped his first career home run on his only hit of the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado wasted no time getting on the board, plating two runs in the top of the first inning. Sligh drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly, and Sattz followed with a double to plate another.
- However, as was the story of the day for the Tornado, King left a pair of runners on base.
- King stretched their lead to 3-0 on a Douglas RBI single through the left side, scoring Cook who single earlier in the frame.
- The Mountain Lions again escaped a jam, stranding the bases full of Tornado in the second inning.
- Young Harris grabbed the lead in the fourth inning when Beggs ripped a grand slam to right center, putting the Mountain Lions ahead 4-3.
- Ruiz struck for the Tornado in the seventh, evening the tally at four with his first career home run as it cleared the left field fence.
- Keister started a rally for King in the eighth inning with a leadoff walk. He later scored, giving King the lead on a Douglas single through the right side.
- Sligh later made it a 7-4 Tornado advantage with a two-run home run, scoring Douglas.
- However, Young Harris answered in the bottom half of the inning, evening the score at 7-7 on a Jones sacrifice fly.
- The Mountain Lions then grabbed a 10-7 lead when Westmoreland ripped a three-run home run to left field.
- King went down in order in the ninth as the Mountain Lions took the contest 10-7.
FOR THE FOES
- Beggs and Westmoreland led the way for Young Harris, driving in four and three runs, respectively.
- Odom, Wall and Beggs each scored twice and Odom was the only Mountain Lion to have multiple hits with two.
Winning Pitcher: Steven Eichhorn (1-0) 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Save: Zach Hopkins (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Grant Boyd (0-1) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 4ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
- The Tornado will play at home next weekend, taking on Mansfield University in a pair of doubleheaders. The teams square off Saturday at 12:00 p.m. and again Sunday at 12:00 p.m.
- Young Harris travels to Brevard on Tuesday.