YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. – Following an opening 3-1 weekend against Brevard College, the King University baseball team took on Young Harris College on Saturday afternoon. After falling to the Mountain Lions 14-6 in game one, King took game two 10-8. King had home runs from Preston Douglas and Dylan Sligh in game two to lead the Tornado to victory.
FINAL SCORE: Young Harris 14, King 6; King 10, Young Harris 8
LOCATION: Zen B. Miller Field; Brevard, N.C.
RECORDS: King 4-2; Young Harris 1-4
- Heath Loyd went 4-8 on the day with 2 runs scored, three doubles, four RBI's, a walk, and a stolen base.
- Tyler Bailey was 4-9 in the doubleheader, hitting a double, home run, scoring a run and driving in two.
- Dylan Sligh had a double and a home run with three driven in on the day.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Mountain Lions had big innings in the third and fifth to give them a 12-0 lead after five innings. Zach Wall had a 2 run double in the third and Luke Miller had a 2 run double in the fifth.
- The Tornado got on the board in the top of the sixth by a lead-off solo home run by Bailey, making the score 12-1.
- King added three in the seventh inning to cut into the lead 12-4 when Loyd doubled to left center scoring Austin Dayton and Marcus Schreiber, both having singled earlier in the inning.
- Dayton had a sac fly in the eighth inning scoring Braden Cook and Anthony Hunt singled to bring home Preston Douglas to make the score 12-6.
- Young Harris scored two more in the bottom of the eighth to take the game one win 14-6.
Winning Pitcher: Michael Livingston (1-1) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mark Hendricks (1-1) 4.1 IP, 7 H, 10 R, 8 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King got out of the gates hot with a four run top of the first. Keister doubled down the right field line to start the game and later scored on a wild pitch.
- After Loyd walked, Douglas hit a two run homer to extend the lead 3-0. Sligh then doubled down the left field line and Bailey doubled to right center to bring him in to make the score 4-0.
- Young Harris scored 1 run in each of the first three innings to cut into the lead 6-3 after the Tornado had scored two in the top of the third.
- The Tornado further extended their lead in the top of the fourth when Sligh hit a three run homer to score Loyd, who had singled to center and Douglas who walked.
- The Mountain Lions scored two in the eighth inning and three in the ninth but the Tornado prevailed 10-8.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabel (2-0) 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: McLain Harris (0-2) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Zach Wall went 4-8 on the day, scoring three runs, driving in four runners, and hitting one home run.
- Zach Beggs was 2-6 on the day with six runs scored, 3 RBI's, and hit two home runs.
- King plays Young Harris again tomorrow. First pitch of the double-header is set for 12:00 pm.
- Young Harris plays King tomorrow at 12:00 pm.