BREVARD, N.C. – Following a sweep on Saturday, the King University baseball team split a doubleheader on Sunday at Brevard College. Brevard came back to take the opening game 10-8 before the Tornado rebounded to take game two 7-3 to take the season-opening series.
FINAL SCORE: Brevard 10, King 8; King 7, Brevard 3
LOCATION: Gil Coan Field; Brevard, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-1; Brevard 1-3
- J.P. Castaneda led the way for the Tornado, going 5-for-7 on the day with three runs scored and two runs batted in. He went 3-for-3 in the nightcap.
- Ryan Sattz recorded four hits on the day.
- Preston Douglas drove in three runs on the day, including two in game two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Dylan Sligh started a King rally in the second inning with a hit by pitch and later scored on a Sattz double.
- Castaneda and Heath Loyd later drove in a pair before Douglas drove in another. Sligh gave King a 6-0 lead with a run scoring single to left field.
- However, Brevard came back with five runs in the third inning, two on a Kyle Morrison double down the right field line.
- King loaded the bases in the top of the fourth, but the Tornados got out of the jam, and used that momentum in the bottom of the inning.
- Brevard scored a pair on a Blaine Durham double, taking a 7-6 advantage.
- Nicolas Keister evened the tally in the fifth, driving in Tyler Bailey with a single up the middle. Bailey reached on an error and stole second earlier in the frame.
- Nevertheless, Brevard regained the lead in the bottom of the inning and added two runs in the sixth to take a 10-7 lead into the seventh.
- Braden Cook plated Castaneda with a sacrifice fly in the inning, but that was the only run King would score as the Tornados took the contest 10-8.
Winning Pitcher: Drake Black (1-0) 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Sam Ferguson (0-1) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King again scored early in the nightcap, tallying single runs in each the second and third innings. Sligh scored on a wild pitch in the second, but the Tornado left a pair of runners on.
- In the third inning, Douglas drove in Cook who singled earlier in the frame.
- However, Brevard answered with a pair of runs, one on a triple and another on a single, evening the score at 2-2 in the bottom of the third inning.
- King regained the lead in the fourth inning when Marcus Schreiber scored on throwing error and Castaneda came in to score on a wild pitch, giving the Tornado a 4-2 lead.
- The Tornado added two runs in the fifth, one on a Bubba Ruiz double and another on a Castaneda single.
- Douglas added an insurance run in the sixth inning when he drove in Keister, giving King a 7-2 lead.
- Brevard was able to plate one run in the seventh, but that was it as King took the contest 7-3.
Winning Pitcher: Gus Gill (1-0) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Tyler Timms (0-1) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Durham led the way for Brevard, going 4-for-8 with a pair of doubles and four runs batted in.
- Donny Carsillo and Morrison registered three hits each with Morrison driving three.
- King travels to Young Harris College next weekend, starting with a doubleheader at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday. The series concludes with a single game at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- Brevard takes on Toccoa Falls on Tuesday.