BREVARD, N.C. – The King University baseball team opened the season with a pair of resounding wins at Brevard College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 12-2 before winning game two 12-6 for the sweep.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Brevard 2; King 12, Brevard 6
LOCATION: Gil Coan Field; Brevard, N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-0; Brevard 0-2
- Dylan Sligh and Nicolas Keister paced the offense with Sligh going 5-for-7 on the day with six runs batted in. Keister scored five runs and recorded three hits from the leadoff spot.
- Ryan Sattz drove in five runs on the day and Zak Kitzmiller went 3-for-4 with two runs scored in the nightcap.
- The Tornado had stellar starts on the mount from Mark Hendricks in game one, allowing two runs on seven hits in four innings and Octavio Mirabal in game two who allowed five runs on four hits in four innings.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- King didn't waste any time getting on the scoreboard as Keister started the game with a single. He was sacrificed to second by Braden Cook and scored on a Sligh single to put King ahead.
- King broke the contest open in the second inning, scoring six runs on five hits. Keister registered a two-run double and Sattz ripped a two-run home run, giving King a 7-0 advantage.
- Brevard cut into the deficit in the third inning on a run scoring hits from Donny Carsillo and Brayden Morris, making the score 7-2.
- The Tornado matched those runs in the top of the fourth as Slight drove in one with a single and a Sattz RBI groundout stretched the lead back to 9-2.
- Sligh ripped a home run to start the sixth inning and Heath Loyd later drove in another later in the frame. Bubba Ruiz drove in King's final run in the seventh inning with a sacrifice fly, giving King the 12-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Hendricks (1-0) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Tyler Konzen (0-1) 3.1 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Keister started game two with a walk and moved to second on a groundout before coming around to score on a Sligh double to put King on top.
- Brevard answered with a run in the bottom of the inning on a Morrison groundout to even the tally.
- The Tornado regained the lead with a pair of unearned runs in the second inning and broke the contest open with five runs in the fourth inning and four more in the fifth inning.
- Sattz highlighted the fourth inning with a two-run double and the fifth inning was highlighted by back-to-back run scoring triples by Preston Douglas and Sligh, giving King a 12-2 lead.
- Brevard responded with four runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by a two run single from Parker Hubbard, but King pitcher Andrew Phemister left the bases loaded full of Tornados to keep King ahead 12-6.
- The contest was called after six innings due to darkness, giving the Tornado the 12-6 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Mirabal (1-0) 4.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Kyle Pittman (0-1) 3.1 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Schuyler Martire led the way from the leadoff spot for Brevard, going 5-for-7 and scoring two runs.
- Carsillo, Morrison and Morris all registered three hits on the day.
- The team meet again for another doubleheader on Sunday. First pitch from Brevard, N.C. is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.